Last modified 7 years ago Last modified on 08/20/13 11:21:56

DevOps Weekly Meeting | August 20, 2013

Time & Location: 10am-1:00pm in LHL164


tanthony, jpr, pavgi, mhanby, billb

2013-08-20 Agenda


  • Storage updates
    • Ceph released dumpling -- async at object gateway not underlying object devices
    • how to incorporate huntsville nodes
    • Crashplan updates
      • Explore private cloud with Code42 directly
      • pilot being developed for mid sep
  • NGS/Galaxy
    • Galaxy upgrade
      • code merged repeated and VCF files and importfs working, ready for deploy.
      • touch base with galaxy devs -- recommend simple tool reinstall to fix pathing issues. it worked
      • target for deploy as soon as green light from test team (hopefully before fall13)
        • each tool will need to be migrated one-by-one because each has own migration script
      • postgres backend config testing
        • seperate node with backup and restore testing
  • Lustre
    • 11TB freed on /scratch with on-going deletion of abandoned recovered data
    • Disk upgrade on DDN - pending support clarification to develop storage reservation
  • Hardware upgrades
    • RAM upgrade on Sipsey - pending pledges
  • Research Computing Day set for Sept 26
    • tentative for cec
    • agenda being developed
  • OpenStackPlusCeph (carry forward from last week)
    • will work on nas-01 connection to admin network so it can be a storage gateway to public and cluster nets, use additional 10G card to connect directly, upgrade to centos6
    • will work on admin node to connect to public network for dns and ntp connectivity
    • Grizzly upgrade
      • Crowbar 1.6 released, will test install via VirtualBox -- destructive upgrade
      • Ceph Dumpling released, explore if supported by barclamp
      • Want to include a swift/s3 object store

  • old pending issues
    • Fix rcs-srv-02 NAT rules
    • ai: need to create a uab public to floating-public translation table
    • ai: need to embed table in DNS
    • ai: need an ubuntu desktop image in glance. may require contortion of launching vm with iso or getting iso in glance and then installing into a volume and then launch a subsequent instance from that volume
    • ai: jpr: apply changes to ceph read caching, requires nova-compute restart. pending understanding crowbar and chef
    • todo: we need access to the admin node interface via the controller
    • todo: we need to engage with dell on crowbar limitation on storage use, don't know if we get improvements from storage.
    • workshops next thursday
    • changes to network license file format with 2013b but no real impact expected
  • dspace report.
    • ai: jpr: need to complete draft


Go over steps for upgrading to Grizzly. We will have to do a full reinstall of the cluster with Crowbar 1.6. Need to test this on virtualbox first to understand the process. Want to include latest Ceph (dumpling) and also build an s3/swift fabric into this build. Need to contact crowbar list and ceph team to see about available options for the ceph barclamp.